Sunday 3 November 2013

The bands that complete me


After you have read the title to this post I'm sure you will be wondering how music can complete someone, but it's pretty simple. Any band I can listen to everyday non-stop completes me and I have rather a few to admit to for better or worse. 

For starters, it would probably be a good time to admit to my overwhelming addiction to Arctic Monkeys. I am currently taking on a project- making an Alex Turner shrine which will sort of sum up my love for him. I mean which teenage girl doesn't love a singer who uses smooth lyrics and has the best quiff on the entire planet? My obsession with the band from Sheffield, UK first began when I was around 7 or 8. I have to credit my parent's music taste because otherwise I may not have been so utterly in love with this band. When I came into contact with Alex Turner words couldn't describe my emotions. He was right in front of me getting into a car and much to everyone's disgust, he didn't even acknowledge all the fans waiting for him. But it's ok, he can make up for it with Arctic Monkey's new album because I'm pretty sure all the lyrics are handwritten for me. Yeah, that's probably not true but I can only hope. It's almost impossible for me to list my favourite songs but I can say a few:

-Wanna be yours
-When the sun goes down
-Suck it and see
-Arabella
-and every other song on their six albums
Arctic Monkeys complete me because their early lyrics about teenage years and life in Sheffield are quite relatable (even though I don't live in Sheffield). And according to 'Wanna Be Yours' Alex Turner quotes 'I wanna be your vacuum cleaner, breathing in your dust' brilliant!

Moving on to another one of the bands that complete me- Kings of Leon. Despite receiving disproving stares for liking them, Kings of Leon have always been one of the most amazing bands to me. Their first album is what puts them on my list. I'm sorry to say it, but they were so much cooler when they had beards, long hair, tight t-shirts and had very limited fans. Like all bands, they get popular and change their musical style but I still love them! I was a fan from a very young age and used to recite the lyrics in the back of the car while dreaming of marrying Jared Followill. 



Another band and solo artist which make the list is the White Stripes which sadly broke up leading Jack White to be a solo artist. I can also admit to knowing all lyrics off the earlier albums and wishing I was Meg White. If I'm going to focus on my early childhood music taste I'd have to mention Fallout Boy, Elvis Costello, Hole, Nirvana, REM, Coldplay and Foo Fighters. It must have been pretty funny for my parents to see me yelling out lyrics to Foo Fighters songs and attempting to scream like Dave Grohl.

My new favourite bands which have added to the extensive list are The Kooks, Alex Turner's solo work, Miles Kane, The Wombats, First Aid Kit, Black Keys and I've probably forgotten plenty more. Oh, and if you were to browse through my Guvera playlist you'll find my 'oldies but goodies' with songs from Elton John, Hot Chocolate, Hole, The Police and Dolly Parton. Can I sense some cringing through your side of the screen? Well I've always been a sucker for old bands.

So now you've basically scrolled through my playlist and maybe discovered that we're into the same music (if so let me know) or you may be slightly shocked by my musical taste. Now I'm in a band I feel obliged to share music tastes and if you would like to, share your musical tastes with me too!

Lilyx

3 comments:

  1. Omg Alex Turner. If I could marry him right now I would! I love all of these bands, I used to be obsessed with Kings of Leon and Kasabian, but I stopped listening and I can't remember why! I think I will always have a soft for 90s punk rock, my parents used to love playing it full blast when I was younger hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you feel the same way! Words just can't describe how amazing Turner is. You have amazing music taste and I think we should definitely continue to talk about our musical fantasies! xx

      Delete
    2. He's so amazing! My friend went to see them playing in Paris a few weeks ago, I'm so jealous because, one it's Paris and two, it's the Arctic Monkeys! Definitely! I have so many musical fantasies *sigh*
      xx

      Delete